Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 25, 2010

The problem with never blogging...

is that when you finally do, your entry is a long, rambling, often incoherent mess. (Oh, someday I want to be able to describe something as a hot-mess, but this is not that moment). I feel the need to document this crazy year.

Let's start with buying our first home! Such a great idea! I was so over renting that tiny apartment. The $8,000 tax credit wasn't to shabby either. We love this house. It needed some work, but we both immediately saw the potential and began to make it our own. We knew the basement was the first thing to change. I mean we could live with the 70's dark brown paneling, and brown shag carpet that crunched when you walked on it, but why not class it up a bit? We had a plan and we got to work. And then we got side tracked. And then fiercely back to work. And then a stand-still. And now back to work. Here's why:

Feb. - Found out we were pregnant! Woo! Crazy/exciting and scary too. I'm without a job: what will we do? "let's rent out the basement!" Great idea, lots of room and a private entrance. Got right to work. Total wetbar/apartment kitchen remodel- took lots of time with Noel's Dad and Brother helping but it looks great.

April 1- Miscarriage. Really hard couple of weeks. Don't need to rent the basement after all. Took a nice long break from home improvements.

May 16th- House burglarized. Stole Noel's video game systems. Busted in the back door. (what do you expect having an interior hollow core door?) Sense of security totally shaken.

May 17th- Debated Dog/Gun. Dog won. Researched Dogs. Met Rory (then called Alice- yep, like from Twilight). Liked her. Told breeder we'd be back for her.

May 19th- Brought Rory home. Have been frustrated smitten ever since.

May 20th- New Steel doors on the house! Now a tougher exterior and a guard dog...

May 24th- Job interview in Iowa City for a job I really want.

May 25th- Job offer from interview yesterday! Great Birthday present. . This will be the beginning of my career. Will I stay at this position? Who knows... will I stay at the University? Absolutely. Here is the kicker. It is a 3 hour commute every day from our lovely home. You see where this is heading? Yeah, not for long... we will be moving closer to Iowa City. Our home we just bought in November? Ugh... Back to work on the house. Will put it on the market next spring.

No comments: